So I’ve been in a life rut lately. Remember when I said I was ok with turning 30? Turns out I’m not! The reality of it has hit me like a ton of bricks lately. I feel pretty unaccomplished and like I haven’t contributed to anything. I’m trying to change that through volunteering, getting more involved with the organizations I belong to and going back to school.
So I’m turning to a blogging prompt to get me out of this blogging rut: 5 things I can’t live without. It’s a start.
1) My cell phone
2) The internet, especially Wikipedia
3) My cats
5) Money, duh
You guys are in for a serious treat today! I’ve teamed up with some awesome lady bloggers to offer 19 – yes, NINETEEN – free ad spots to one lucky winner! The winner of this giveaway will win a ton of ad spots – see a complete list – and $25 PayPal cash. Who wouldn’t love that?!
Giveaway is open to everyone, and entries will be verified so don’t cheat!
You know, sometimes I sit down and go “there are just not enough cats on the internet.”
Let’s change that.
You know, one day I’ll get my photos down properly. One day formatting, I will rule you!
Anyway, as I’ve shared before, I own two cats – Forrest (tabby) and Binx. Not only are they adorable (in my unbiased opinion) but they provide me with an endless source of entertainment, asshole-ness, and love.
So every Saturday, they get to run this blog. It shall be known as “Caturday” because I’m uncreative. (What are you going to do? Sue me?)
Last Saturday, I saw Annabelle, which is pretty much the most awesome Halloween movie (this week anyway.) However, there’s a scene in a stairwell that is terrifying. Like I’m shuddering thinking of it now.
What’s this got to do with cats? Well, if Binx looks like this in the daylight:
Can you image what he looks like in the middle of the night when you’re already on edge and all you can see is a shape coming up the stairs? Happy Halloween indeed.
Also,they’re useful in reminding you about why you shouldn’t drink. On Thursday, my friend Catherine invited me to see her boyfriend’s band. A few rum and cokes later, I awoke to the clingiest, nosiest creatures possible. They had surrounded me.
So those are my cats thoughts today.
How are you spending your Caturday (or non-Caturday, if you’re so unlucky)?
So blogging is my hobby and I’m extremely interested in expanding the empire of Blogs Like a Girl, so if you blog about blogging, I’m there! Below are my favorite posts on the state of blogging. (Sidenote: I wonder how many times I can say “blogging.”)
How to Run a Kick Butt Sponsorship Program by Becoming Adorrable. Sponsorship is completely outside my scope at this point but Becca has such helpful tips. Bonus: discounts on sponsorship packages for some great blogs.
Creating a Social Media Plan by Girl on the Move. Julie is doing a month long series of posts on how to create a social media plan. Simply vital for every blogger.
And while I’m here, have a look at some great posts that weren’t about blogging but I enjoyed this week.
When I was growing up, I never really felt that I could be president. One, every kid wanted to be President – even then I knew my odds were for shit. Two, as a woman, I felt disadvantaged. And three, who the fuck would want to be President anyway? I mean, its kind of a thankless job.
But since this blog is my fantasy land and in fantasy land, being President wouldn’t be a thankless job and everything would be perfect, I’ll tell you what I would do if I was President.
1) Legalize gay marriage. You don’t have to have one, you don’t have to acknowledge that your neighbor had one. But you can’t stand in the way of love. In the Blogs Like a Girl Administration, love is love as long as its between consenting adults.
2) Make public colleges free for everyone as long as they maintain a certain GPA. I went to college in WV, where WV students who went to a WV school were eligible for a program called Promises, which help pay for their education as long as they maintained a certain GPA. And holy shit, look at that sentence. Maybe I shouldn’t comment on education policies. Oh well, in fantasy land, I write perfectly! Anyway, we would have a similar program.
3) Harsher penalties for rapists. Not to get too serious in fantasy land, but its disturbing how few people who commit rape will ever see time. I plan on putting more focus on testing and clearing out rape kits in order to bring more people to justice.
4) Since we’re on serious topic time, there will be no question of a person’s right to make their own medical decisions without interference during the Blogs Like a Girl Administration. I know its controversial and may lose me some followers but here at Blogs Like a Girl, I believe we must always err on the side of caution and let people make their own educated decisions about their bodies.
5) On a less serious note, all eagles will be replaced by cats. The Egyptians had it right. Cats are to be revered.